Monday, December 19, 2011

Banana Cream Cheesecake


I went to a wonderful restaurant which I am sure you can tell by the picture above where it may of come from. It has one of my favorite Cheesecake flavors: Banana Cheesecake. Although it's a treat to have when I go there, it's so hard to choose what flavor, even though this is one of my top contenders. This is a cheesecake featuring fresh flavors of the summer but really this is a cheesecake to be enjoyed all year round.

Most people can relate to the fact the have over ripe bananas in their kitchen. We think to ourselves, well it's time to make banana bread although I will add them to a muffin recipe or a cake recipe but I don't stop thinking just there! They are perfect in creating a delicious cheesecake! Sometimes I secretly want to buy bananas to get them to ripen so that you can't eat them and then make this cheesecake! But I have a little man in the house who loves Bananas, my son Johnny who loves bananas probably as much as a monkey does! LOL!

This recipe reminds me of the good ol' Banana Pudding but made into a Cheesecake.

You have to add this recipe to your cheesecake section because it is so good! It's easy to make and is surely to surprise people. After all how often have you been served Banana Cheesecake at a get together? I know I haven't. Before I made this recipe one Father's Day dinner for my dad/husband and invited the whole family, I bought a whole cheesecake from this restaurant, it's a bit pricey and then I decided to make it myself. My dad, may he rest in peace, loved this cheesecake so I dedicate this recipe to him!

Banana Cheesecake

CRUST

20 Golden Oreos or 1 1/2-2 cups of Finely crushed Vanilla Wafers
1/4 cup butter, melted

CHEESECAKE

4 (8oz.) packages of Cream Cheese
2/3 cup Sugar
2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
3 Eggs
1 cup Mashed Ripe Bananas
1/2 cup Whipping Cream
2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Place cookies in a blender; process with on/off pulse until finely crushed. Add margarine; process with pulses until blended. Press crumb mixture onto bottom of 10-inch springform pan; refrigerate.

Beat cream cheese in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until creamy. Add sugar and cornstarch; beat until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas, whipping cream, and vanilla. Pour cream cheese mixture into prepared crust. Place pan on cookie sheet and bake 15 minutes.

Reduce oven temperature to 200 degrees F (DO NOT forget to reduce temperature - very important) and continue baking 75 minutes or until center is almost set. Loosen edge of cheesecake; cool completely on wire rack before removing rim of pan. Refrigerate cheesecake 6 hours or overnight.

Allow cheesecake to stand at room temperature 15 minutes before serving.

Garnish: Garnish with Whip Cream, Sliced Bananas and crushed Vanilla Wafers or Golden Oreos


I leave you with my kids favorite Banana song, okay it's mine too!  I first saw it when Yo Gabba Gabba first aired.  I love Ska music (which also sounds like Reggae at times) and I love Bananas.  I always joke with my kids and sing this song at the same time, sometimes even while we are eating Bananas!  Song by The Aggrolites!  Please take time to listen to it!  It's a feel good song and makes you want to dance!



Go Bananas!
Annamaria

No comments:

Post a Comment