Monday, May 16, 2011

Good Diner Eats

Looking for Good Diner Eats? Read On.....Read On....

So on a day, I managed to check out a few places in Cleveland that some came by ear or got a review in some magazine. I have to start and end this blog with one of the places I went to. We woke up, sleepy but hungry, didn't feel like cooking so I looked on the internet for some Diner type breakfast. Nothing seemed appealing or it was just too far because the boys were hungry NOW! So we headed to a close place, that I've tried before but never got the real taste of the place and it was so long ago. My friend took me many moons ago and I wanted to sit down for a good breakfast without breaking the bank and didn't feel a food chain mojo comin on. I settled on Gus's Family Restaurant. Now I always knew they had good pancakes but that was about it.


We got in and got a seat ASAP! We had a wonderful waitress who made us feel welcomed and may I add actually acknowledged my soon to be 2 year old son. Some places ignore the little ones I think because verbally they have nothing to offer, at least this is the feeling I get. Also she saw him coloring his SpongeBob coloring book, okay really scribbling but it keeps him entertained! She told him "Great Job!". She won my heart as a great waitress. We ordered our food and I couldn't decide and she did for me. She's hands on too! My husband gets the BIG 10, Pancakes, Eggs, Toast, Homefries, Bacon and Sausage. I got the Corned Beef Hash and Eggs which comes with toast and Homefries. We got little man a scrambled egg breakfast, which came with sausage and homefries and we also ordered a side of Biscuits and Gravy. A lot of food, but wait it gets better.... So we had all this food, didn't finish it all and took home what we could salvage (that is what would taste fine later). We took the toast as we always feed the birds. Little man had no problem eating most of his breakfast, he might of even eaten more than his dad.

Here's the breakfast breakdown:
Little man's breakfast was done perfect and he loved his sausage, eggs and homefries which are actually pretty great hashbrowns. Nice golden brown crust and soft perfectly cooked potatoes. He gobbled up pretty much every last bite. I think though we should of added some cheese to the eggs.
I had 2 eggs overeasy, perfectly cooked, cornedbeef hash, homefries and toast. All very yummy. I was told the cornedbeef hash is made in house. Very good for homemade. Crisp outer edge and when I forked into them, it was piping hot, flavorful, fluffy and NOT GREASY! YUM! I was happy to say that my eggs were perfect, it came out just like how I like them and make them at home. Great toast to sop up the eggy yummy goodness! One down fall, I usually put ketchup on my potatoes, but the ketchup was gross. Obviously it was not Heinz. I just don't get it, why do some restaurants go for generic ketchup over heinz, bad ketchup can ruin a dish. So I salted my homefries, probably the only thing they needed besides Heinz ketchup. They were still good without the ketchup. Okay darn I wanted ketchup but theirs so was not going on my potatoes again! I sampled it and instantly gagged. Niko, please stock up on Heinz! Maybe I should be one of those people who bring little bottles of hot sauce in their purses, but instead I should carry Heinz Ketchup. LOL!
The Biscuits and Gravy, very yummy, creamy, peppery and soft fresh tasting biscuits. I would recommend this. You can get them in a breakfast or as a side. Little man couldn't get enough! They have a breakfast that you can get with biscuits, eggs, homefries all layered with sausage gravy, I think maybe I may try that since everything was yummy!
This is Scott's breakfast, Pancakes, Over Easy Eggs, Bacon, Sausage, Homefries (on a separate plate) and toast. He didn't finish them all but we all had a bite of his Pancakes, I already knew Gus' had great pancakes and little man loved them too. They are BIG, FLUFFY AND OH SO GOOD WITH BUTTER AND SYRUP! Scott couldn't eat everything as I think his eyes are bigger than his stomach. But what he couldn't eat, we took home. The eggs of course along the pancakes were perfect, I think the bacon was too crispy for our liking but a lot of people like it that way.

Our overall experience was great, friendly people and staff. All this food I got you would think would cost a lot but actually it only cost us $19.00. Yes that's it. Now this is when I don't leave a 15% tip according to the check. But when I leave it according to service. Because $3.00 wouldn't be sufficient enough for this waitress servicing 3 people. So I left her about 40%. She was nice, fast and got everything we needed and always had the coffee coming. So it's a food, GOOD FOOD, for little cost and the service was great as I said. Now if you're looking for some kind of hoity toity atmosphere, this isn't it, it's old school, posters of Greece on the walls, (yes they have gyros, and gyro omelets and gyro breakfasts), and clanky noises happening. But it's all good. You can sit on a barstool and watch the cook, well, cook. You can see that there is regulars, all very happy I must say. We ate, we digested and we left.
Of course little man grabbing a bunch of smiles the whole time, despite his shaggy bed head (yeah I know I gotta get his bangs trimmed)... Who could blame him?! Just look at him! HA HA! He was thoroughly enjoyed his breakfast and attention from the staff and patrons. =) It was a great experience for us, too bad our daughter missed it as she was in school! Shhh! Even though she's been out to breakfast the past 2 weekends since she's had sleepovers. It was our turn. HA HA!
I liked their sign inside the restaurant because it couldn't be more true. It's exactly what you get! One thing I would add is the word "GREAT"! "Great Food Fast, Not Fast Food!" It's obvious, because Gus's has been around for awhile and I think it's getting rediscovered. People are worked harder for less money so we're looking to get faster food that's good but not paying an arm and a leg along with sacrificing our stomachs to horrible food. It's a win win at Gus'!

So go to Gus'. It's great. I enjoyed everything and everyone there and had a good day with my 2 boys. It was on a perfect day, the real first hot day in Cleveland since our stretch of cold rain. I couldn't of asked for anything better, well maybe just Heinz ketchup, also I don't think I wouldn't get the "Pink Lemonade" again. It wasn't Pink and tasted more like water than lemonade. Yes I have a picture although an awkward one:
I'll definitely skip it next time unless it's improved. But coffee is great and I assume the sodas are too. Other things in the past that I have tried from Gus' is the Chicken Fried Steak. Very yummy and a great price! I would recommend this place to others. They have lots of parking around and especially reserved across the street for those extra busy days. We were sat quickly so we really had no issues there. So go and have breakfast, lunch or an early dinner. You won't be disappointed.

Gus's Family Restaurant Info:


4377 State Road
Cleveland, Ohio 44109

Parking is available across the street at the old RTA Station fenced in lot. Additional on-street parking is available after 9:30 AM.

HOURS: M-F: 7am-4pm
Saturday: 7am-3pm
Sunday: 8am-3pm


Phone: (216) 661-5967
Fax: (216) 739-0759


Gus's Family Restaurant Online:
Gus's Facebook Page
Gus's Online also featuring Menu


Check it out on Urbanspoon..
Gus's Family Restaurant on Urbanspoon


Go and Enjoy! Happy Eats!
Annamaria

1 comment:

  1. Hi Annamaria,
    Your first post just appeared on Urbanspoon! Check it out:
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/16/202093/restaurant/West-Side/Guss-Family-Restaurant-Cleveland
    I encourage you to claim your blog, which allows you to add a picture and change some settings. The blog photo shows up next to your posts wherever they appear on Urbanspoon. Here's how to claim:
    - Make sure you're logged into Urbanspoon
    - Go to your blog page on our site: http://www.urbanspoon.com/br/16/5197/Cleveland/Its-In-There.html

    - Click "Claim your blog" in the left sidebar
    After you submit it, we may contact you to verify your claim. Check your spam email folder if your claim hasn't gone through in a day or two. You'll also find some interesting badges and widgets on your Urbanspoon blog page - look in the right sidebar.
    Let me know if you have any questions.
    Thanks,
    Ken
    www.urbanspoon.com

    ReplyDelete